It looks like DC’s planned Justice League movie for summer 2015 will feature a wide cast of characters. This is a rumor first and foremost, so take it with a pinch of salt, but these details apparently came from someone within DC Entertainment:
• Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel, and Zack Snyder is consulting regarding the writing of the character.
• Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn’t really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.
• Wonder Woman: She has only been in man’s world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.
• Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold’s Hal Jordan character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone… and probably not played by Ryan Reynolds.
• Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.
• Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.
• Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis and has a “key role” in the film.
• There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett), of which neither are included in the first draft.
• Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.
• Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.
• Darkseid’s Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.
The script is reportedly inspired by Gerry Conway’s 3-issue “Crisis on New Genesis” Justice League of America arc (#183-185).
DC’s not giving up on this “New 52” idea. In September, they’ll be issuing “issue zero” editions of all of their New 52 books, to catch readers up on the backstories of each character. It’ll also coincide with the one-year anniversary of their relaunch.
One would argue this would have worked better when The New 52 first launched, but that means we’re expecting DC comics to think rationally, something NO comic publisher apparently remembers how to do.
From the “well, DUH” category, Variety says Warner Bros. is trying to put more DC Comics heroes in front of your eyeballs. In addition to the Justice League movie we mentioned here earlier this week, they’re working on movies “based on the Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Lobo, the Suicide Squad and Shazam.”
The Green Arrow one you’ve probably already heard of; it started production as “SuperMax” and is about the archer having to fight his way out of a prison full of people he put in there… and we’ve heard rumors that Lobo will be played by Dwayne Johnson.